Fairfax Fellows is a 12-month leadership development program for future pastors and church leaders located just outside Washington, D.C. at Fairfax Community Church. You’ll gain hands-on experience and be coached by some of the best church leaders in the country. Wherever your talents lie, we want to journey with you as you learn and grow in your calling.
Anyone considering a career in vocational church ministry or leadership who is near the end or has recently completed his or her undergraduate degree. Fellows should be able to agree to and sign the Staff Covenant and Expectations document.
Fellows work 40 hours a week for their department under the supervision of a staff member and the Fellows Director. Fellows should be prepared with their own computer and transportation.
Fellows participate in weekly meetings designed to encourage personal and spiritual development through coaching, readings, and classes taught by pastors and leaders at Fairfax Community Church.
Salary & Benefits
Fellows are paid a bi-weekly salary and are given three weeks of paid vacation alongside the provided 11 holidays. Please note that Fellows will be expected to work all Christmas Eve and Easter services since these are the largest events in our calendar year.
As a Fairfax Fellow, you’ll gain hands-on experience in the ministry area of your choice.
Many of their tasks and responsibilities will be based on individual interests and the changing needs of the department.
- Receive hands-on experience with all facets of children’s ministry
- Utilize creativity to edit and implement curriculum
- Prepare fun and engaging weekend environments
- Recruit, develop, and assist with the ongoing training of volunteers
- Plan and implement events
- Lead a student ministries small group
- Plan events and retreats
- Lead from the platform according to his or her gifting
- Communicate with small group leaders
- Write and edit small group curriculum
- Coordinate events for care groups, neighborhood groups, and neighborhood initiatives in the community including people and tasks
- Visit community partners on a regular basis
- Assist team in creation of systems for care and co-lead the team
- Be available during the weekend services as assigned
Hospitality & Coffee Shop
- Develop understanding of how hospitality supports the overall mission of the church
- Increase volunteer engagement and schedule weekly coffee shop staff
- Work with other ministries to support events and initiatives
- Understand and optimize our vendor relationships, inventory, and supply chain*
- Organize and communicate seasonal drink specialties and menu items*
- Curate content for social media channels, website, and print
- Create strategies for campaigns—promotion, messaging, measuring success and goals
- Track campaign/event performance metrics and report on opportunities for improvement
- Build internal (staff) and external (members/vendors) professional relationships
- Develop writing, photography, videography, or editing skills
Worship & Production
- Contribute to social media and branding of Fairfax Worship
- Lead worship on-platform twice a month (instrumentally and/or vocally)
- Lead worship off-platform twice a month (this would mean serving in production on lights, monitors, ProPresenter, etc.)
- Be a part of set list planning meetings if he/she is a worship leader
- Help plan writing retreats
What They're Saying
My fellowship was both professionally and spiritually a life-changing experience. I learned how God gifted me, how to lead, and was given foundational ministry insights that have shaped the way I do ministry today. I was shown how to radically love God and love others with my whole life.Josh FalkeFormer Student Ministry Fellow
Fairfax’s Fellowship program helped develop my skills in production and tech. It provided valuable hands-on experience that allowed me to gain the confidence and skill set I needed to be successful in the church production field.Lindsey WillFormer Worship & Production Fellow
The Fairfax Fellows program was a unique opportunity to gain hands-on experience in my area of vocational interest. I was given lots of room both to grow and to explore different passions while working alongside full-time staff members. The skills I gained and the lessons I learned were invaluable in preparing me for a full-time role in church ministry. Thanks, Fairfax Fellows Program, for an amazing experience!Jeanetta GregoryFormer Worship Fellow